2013 Craggin' Classic: Salt Lake City
Friday August 23, 2013 - Sunday August 25, 2013
10000 East Little Cottonwood Canyon Road
Co-hosted by the Salt Lake Climbers Alliance and the American Alpine Club at the Alta Peruvian Lodge in Alta, UT, with camping at Albion Basin Campground and climbing clinics in Little Cottonwood Canyon and the Wasatch this August 23-25, 2013.The Craggin’ Classic is all about celebrating community, stewardship, and all things climbing. The AAC and the SLCA are psyched to bring this event back to Utah! Join us for:
Hosted by Mountain Education & Development, there will be three different time slots for these clinics; you can sign up for up to three on Saturday and Sunday. After you register for the Craggin' Classic, you will be re-directed to the MED site to select the clinics that interest you. Topics include:
- Fundamentals of Top Rope Climbing
- Fundamentals of Sport Lead Climbing
- Fundamentals of Traditional Lead Climbing
- Multi-pitch Transitions and Efficiency
- Climbing Self-Rescue
- Anchors for Climbing (natural, fixed, traditional)
- Kids Climbing (ages 10-16)
With prizes and swag from our sponsors Black Diamond, Liberty Mountain, backcountry.com, Momentum, Petzl, The Front Climbing Club, and GoLite! Plus climbing shoe demos by La Sportiva and Evolv!
Friday Movie Night
Have you ever approached Devil’s Castle to climb and wondered which trail is the right trail to get there? Or noticed that you were tromping through a fragile, high-alpine meadow with plants underfoot? Wonder no more. Come help the SLCA, USFS, Cottonwood Canyon Foundation, and Alta Ski Resort re-vegetate those meadows you may have trampled and mark the trail you should be using. Happening Saturday afternoon 12-4pm with the Jeep/Access Fund Conservation Team. Come on out and get your hands dirty with a chance to give back to your local crag. Thanks to Patagonia for supporting this project.
Saturday Night Party
Featuring dinner from Himalayan Kitchen, presentations by local heroes, beer from Shades of Pale, and a Gong Show-style storytelling competition! Raffles to benefit the AAC’s Live Your Dream Grant and the SLCA’s Gym to Crag program. Items from CAMP, Black Diamond, Petzl, Evolv, Arc’teryx, Mammut, Sterling, backcountry.com, The Front Climbing Club, Momentum and more!
Albion Basin Campground
From I-215, take the 6200 South exit and travel a mile east to Wasatch Blvd. Take Wasatch Blvd 3 miles south to the junction with Little Cottonwood Canyon/Highway 210. Take a left at the junction and travel up Little Cottonwood Canyon 10.2 miles to the campground. The last 2.4 miles are on a maintained gravel road. Make sure to check in at the Peruvian Lodge (see address below) on Friday between 5-10pm before heading up to the campground to get your site number. Car-pooling is a must!
Schedule of Events:
Friday, August 23
- 5pm – Check-in; set up camp at the Albion Basin campground and go climbing!
- 8pm – Movie Night at the Peruvian Lodge (10000 East Little Cottonwood Road, Alta, UT) featuring Keeper of the Mountain and High & Hallowed: 1963
Saturday, August 24
- From 6am-9am - Little Cottonwood Canyon will be closed for a half marathon
- 10-11am – Breakfast and Check-in
- Noon-4pm – Environmental Stewardship Project with the Jeep/Access Fund Conservation Team and Patagonia
- Noon-4pm – Clinics with Mountain Education & Development (MED)
- 7-8pm – Dinner from Himalayan Kitchen
- 8-11pm – Party/Presentations/Music/Raffle/etc. at the Peruvian Lodge
Sunday, August 25
- 7-9am - Breakfast
- 9am-1pm – Clinics with MED
- 2-6pm – Clinics with MED
- 6pm – Event concludes